There is a reason why these are some of the best breakfast restaurants in Chicago. My family loves a hearty breakfast before starting the day. We venture out into the city almost every weekend to explore a breakfast restaurant and weigh in as connoisseurs of American breakfast foods like pancakes, coffee, and bacon.
And brunch in Chicago? Brunch is amazing. It’s like the best of both worlds! You get all the deliciousness of breakfast and lunch combined into one meal.
Plus, it’s usually served between 10 AM and noon which means there are no worries about rushing around or having to cook anything—just relax and enjoy some delicious food with good company while the sun shines outside.
What Makes a Great Breakfast Restaurant in Chicago
I’m sure that during your visit that you will want to experience a culinary delight at the best breakfast restaurants in Chicago, where you can enjoy a delectable morning feast. But first, we want to sure our key reasons why these are the best for breakfast. The criteria we used are:
- Great Food
- Great service
- Beautiful decor
- Welcoming ambiance
These are most important in any setting—especially when you’re spending money to eat somewhere.
Best Breakfast Restaurants in Chicago
From fluffy pancakes to savory omelets, the best breakfast restaurants in Chicago serve up a breakfast extravaganza you won’t want to miss.
This post is our expert opinion of the best breakfast or brunch spots in downtown Chicago. You may want to call ahead to learn of wait times, these are the best of the best breakfast restaurants in Chicago!
Batter & Berries
📍2748 N Lincoln Ave Chicago | Open: 8:00 AM, and 9:00 AM on T, W, Th
- Know before you go: They are always packed!
- Recommendations: Apple Cider Donut French Toast, French Toast Flight, Spinach Omelet
📍2845 W Irving Park Rd Chicago | Opens at 7:00 AM
- Know before you go: Portions are huge!
- Recommendations: Churro Waffle, Oreo Waffle, Chorizo Bowl
Wildberry Pancakes and Cafe
📍196 E Pearson St Chicago | Opens at 7:00 AM
- Know before you go: Great spot for brunch. The skillet breakfasts are epic! Get a window seat for people-watching.
- Recommendations: Nutella Crepes with Strawberry and Bananas, Sizzlin’ Denver Skillet, Barbacoa Chilaquiles
Chicago’s Home Of Chicken & Waffles
📍3947 S King Dr., Chicago | Opens at 8:00 AM
- Know before you go: Delicious southern soul cooking. Waffles are thin but fluffy.
- Recommendations: Chicken and waffles, macaroni and cheese
Wake ‘n Bacon
📍420 W Belmont Ave, Chicago | Opens at 8:00 AM
- Know before you go: There is a beautiful, fantasy-like decor with wisteria suspended from the ceilings. The bubble waffles are more like dessert.
- Recommendations: Bacon! Bacon! Bacon! Get the Bacon flight! Ube Flap Jack Stack, Spiced Maple Chicken ‘n Waffles
Luella’s Southern Kitchen
📍4609 N Lincoln Ave Chicago | Opens at 10:00 AM on weekends, 5:00 PM Wed-Sun
- Know before you go: The French toast is on brioche and incredibly satisfying (and hard to finish).
- Recommendations: Nashville Hot Chicken and Waffles, French Toast, Shrimp and Grits
📍565 W. Jackson St., Chicago | Opens at 6:00 AM Mon-Fri, 7:00 AM Sat-Sun
- Know before you go: Lou’s is the OG of breakfast in the Chicago Loop! You’ll get donut holes while you wait or they are served at the table, orange slices, prunes, and Milk Duds.
- Recommendations: Omelet (Denver or any!), Belgium Malted Waffle
Meli Cafe (Greektown)
📍301 S Halsted St Chicago | Opens at 7:00 AM
- Know before you go: There are 3 locations. Great for brunch in Chicago River North (closest to downtown). All are nice locations, and you can explore the Greektown and River North neighborhoods after your meal. There are vegan and gluten-free options.
- Recommendations: Nutella Crepe, Breakfast Panini, Ocean Omelet, Spicy Flamenco Omelet
Yolk (South Loop)
📍1120 S. Michigan | Opens at 7:00 AM
- Know before you go: There are several locations (Marina City, Streeterville, West Loop). Marina City is near Wacker and Michigan and is close to tourism. They also have a kid’s menu.
- Recommendations: Tour de France, Countryside Skillet, Cinnamon Roll French Toast
The Original Pancake House
📍616 W. Diversey | Opens at 7:00 AM
- Know before you go: Just come for the pancakes, they are the best.
- Recommendations: Dutch Apple Pancake
Honey Berry Pancakes and Cafe
📍901 S. State St. | Opens at 7:00 AM
- Know before you go: One of the newer breakfast houses in Chicago. Vegan and gluten-free options are available. Nice spot for brunch in Chicago Loop.
- Recommendations: Signature Honeyberry, Pumpkin Pancakes, Florentine Omelet
📍909 W. Belmont | Opens at 7:00 AM
- Know before you go: Nice-sized portions and great service. Great for brunch in the Lake View neighborhood.
- Recommendations: Monte Cristo Breakfast, Crab Cakes Eggs Benedict, Cinnamon Rolls
📍834 W. Fulton | Opens at 8:00 AM
- Know before you go: Gluten-free options and a kid’s menu are available. Awesome choice for brunch on breakfast in Chicago’s West Loop. OJ is freshly squeezed.
- Recommendations: Eggs Your Way, Lemon Pancakes, Brown Sugar Bacon
📍161 N. Jefferson St | Opens at 8:00 AM
- Know before you go: Good food for the soul.
- Recommendations: Cajun Shrimp and Grits, Salmon Cakes, Jambalaya Omelet
Map of the Great Breakfast Restaurants in Chicago
Before you head to see all the best attractions or begin one of the best architecture tours in Chicago, start your day with a memorable breakfast experience at Chicago’s best breakfast restaurants, where exceptional flavors and warm hospitality meet.
See the full list of restaurants and locations on Google maps.
Final Thoughts on Breakfast Restaurants in Chicago
Whether you prefer classic breakfast favorites or innovative creations, the best breakfast restaurants in Chicago cater to all taste buds.
Breakfast is undoubtedly our favorite meal of the day. We even eat breakfast for lunch (also known as brunch) or dinner (we call it brinner). You will enjoy breakfast at any of the restaurants and have a satisfying experience.